Tuesday, January 24, 2012

benefit of the doubt

As I have gotten older, I have become more cynical.  At the same time, I have become less judgmental and I am starting to understand the phrase "not everything is at it seems".  Yesterday I had a conversation with one of the salesmen at work and he relayed a story that really fits this subject perfectly.


His daughter is married to a soldier.  He has been in the Middle East since February of last year.  He was given his orders a few weeks ago and he is coming home.  To celebration, they have put a hold on Christmas.  He specifically asked her to keep everything in the house just the way it was until he gets home next month.  Decorations, tree (fake of course), presents, and even outdoor lights.

Now, if you are like me, Christmas lights outside after New Years is annoying.  I make sure all decorations are down before New Years is over.  But living here in the Pacific NW, where the service men and women are in abundance, this story gives a whole new meaning to Christmas lights after New Years.

Now some of you will say that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus and not about presents and decorations, but think about it people.  What a better Christmas story, than a soldier and his wife celebrating Christmas together, even if it will be in February.  Made my eyes well up when he was telling about excited they were to see each other and to get to celebrate the holidays together.

So, the next time you are complaining about Christmas lights after New Years, remember this story.  I know not all people are waiting until their loved ones come home, but give them the benefit of the doubt.  Sometimes things in life are not as they seem.


No comments:

Post a Comment