Thursday, February 16, 2012

to birthday or not to birthday

So yesterday was my birthday.  Yes, I am one of those unfortunate people whose birthday fall near or on a holiday.  And mine is almost worst than Christmas!  It is Valentine's Day!  The most commercialized holidays of them all.  People spend absurd amounts of money on flowers and candy and diamonds all to impress the one they love.  Or maybe to whoo the one they want to love them.  Either way, my birthday gets the short end of this stick!!  Now I am a 37 year old woman who should not care of these things, but people, I LOVE my birthday!!!  I mean it when I say LOVE.  I am going to be that 90 year old lady at the nursing home singing myself Happy Birthday, because no one else there is going to be able to remember.  HA!  If my mother doesn't call me early enough, I actually call her and sing "Happy Birthday to me", it drives her crazy!  LOL She called me at 6:30am just so she didn't get that phone call.

Anyway, me and my husband will be celebrating 17 years of marriage this May.  Now he is no romantic and that is perfectly fine with me.  I hate the blubbery cards and the hoopla associated with Valentine's Day.  But, in all these years, I have ALWAYS woke to a wonderful, perfectly chosen birthday card on my night stand.  Until, this year, that is.  He doesn't know it, but my feelings were REALLY hurt, when I found the card, he had bought on his way home, on my nightstand last night at 9pm when I was going to bed.

I don't need a present, in fact, many of the years we have been married, we just haven't been able to afford them.  And this year, well, is really no exception.  We didn't get paid until today.  But really? My birthday is no secret.  He couldn't have picked up a card a week ago?  Am I over reacting?  I have been asking myself this question all day.  Maybe all of these years he has waited until the last minute to get my card and I just didn't know it.  All I can say to that is, I didn't know it!  This year, this year hurt my feelings.  I don't know how to tell him because then his feelings will be hurt.  I have a kind and considerate husband.  He doesn't hurt me on purpose.  I tried not to make a big deal out of it yesterday.  I am trying to be an adult about it.  But people, my 10 year old made me a card and gave me $5 of her own money. (I put it back in her piggy bank when she went to school)  She does love her mommy. :)

I just don't know.  I think I am feeling better about the situation now.  I can tell you he was more upset when I told him he was not allowed to spend any money on me for Valentines Day.  I guess at some point this year, I will have to break down and tell him how much I loathe the big V Day.  I mean, it has been robbing me of my birthday all of these years and I now think that I am fed up!!  NO MORE!!  This is the last year that damn, made up, over exaggerated holiday takes over my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment